Though March 8, 2019, seems far away from the South By Southwest (SXSW) 2019 festival, planning is already in full swing. Similar to the past five years we will be providing you all updates soon after they are announced. Below are the latest SXSW 2019 updates for the Interactive Innovation Awards, SXSW Music Showcase submission, SXSW Film deadlines, Panel Picker voting and discounted badges for ATC members.
Early deadline to submit your innovative technology project for the 2019 SXSW Interactive Innovation Awards is this Thursday, August 16 when you can still save on the application fee. The 2019 SXSW Interactive Innovation Awards submissions are open to any project, product, creative endeavor, scientific discovery, or student project related to the 13 award categories.
During the submission and judging time period for the 2019 SXSW Interactive Innovation Awards, five selected finalists in each of the 13 categories will receive two registrations to attend SXSW 2019. They will also get a space to demonstrate their project for SXSW attendees and Innovation Awards judges. This year’s full list of categories ranges from Style & Wearable Tech to AI & Machine Learning.
Enter today for the chance to win top honors at the 2019 SXSW Interactive Innovation Awards in March 2019. Below are the tips provided by the SXSW for your submission for the 2019 SXSW Interactive Innovation Awards.
- Include additional resources. Links to photos, demos, social accounts, marketing material, schematics, one-sheets, case studies, etc., all build a stronger case for why your project should be selected.
- Include a video. There’s no better way to convey a thorough sense of your project than through a demo or case-study video.
- Always link to additional resources. Keep in mind that all additional resources like photos, videos, or pdfs that must live online and be accessed via URL links.
- Tell them what’s different about your entry: the project goes through the following 4 grading criterias in mind: Creativity, Form, Function, and Overall Experience.
- Deadlines are final:Your project doesn’t have to be fully launched as of right now but you must submit your application for the Innovation Awards before the final deadline of Thursday, October 4.
- Deadlines to Enter:
- Early Entry: Monday, June 25 – Thursday, August 16 — $75 fee
- Regular Entry: Friday, August 17 – Thursday, October 4 — $150 fee
- Final Entry Deadline: Thursday, October 4, 2018, at 11:59 pm PT
For more information or to submit an application please visit: https://www.sxsw.com/awards/interactive-innovation-awards/.
Below is the latest updates and deadlines on submitting your application for the SXSW 2019 Music Showcase.
- Interested artists must apply to showcase before the October 25 deadline to be considered for the 2019 SXSW Music Festival.
- The fee for an application completed by September 13, 2018 (11:59 pm PT) is $35.
- After September 13, 2018, the application fee increases to $55.
- The final deadline to apply is October 25, 2018 (11:59 pm PT).
- You will be charged the rate listed at the time of final submission.
- All applicants will be notified of their status on or before January 18, 2019. SXSW is not able to issue any refunds.
SXSW Music Showcase Applications are open to all genres, solo acts and/or full bands and artists from any part of the world. Invited Artists are guaranteed at least one showcase slot. The Showcase slots run an average of 40 minutes (some exceptions may apply). Slots for SXSW 2019 will be scheduled March 11-17, 2019 generally between 7pm-2am (exceptions do apply). SXSW has provided the below SXSW Music Showcase Application Tips to guide you through the application process.
- Include Relevant Press: Be sure to include a few current and relevant press links which you feel are educational or frame you and your music in the correct way.
- Hone Your Biography: If you are invited to be an official SXSW Showcasing Artist our marketing team will reference your biography in their own campaigns leading up to the music festival so it’s crucial to have an accurate bio.
- Not Every Field Will Apply: If you’re aren’t able to fill out every field its OK. They are looking for as much information as possible about the artists to help formulate their decisions
- Don’t Skip the YouTube Link: Providing SXSW staff a link to your YouTube channel on your application is important during the evaluation process.
- Features On Curated Playlists: If you have been featured on any playlists make sure you include a link in your application.
There are a few important deadlines keep in mind for 2019 SXSW Film Submission. Below are the current deadlines for the SXSW 2019 Film Festival.
- August 23, 2018: Early Deadline for Feature Films, Short Film, Virtual Cinema, Texas High School Short Films, Title Sequences, Episodics, and Music Videos
- September 20, 2018: Regular Entry Deadline for Feature Films, Short Films, Virtual Cinema, Texas High School Short Films, Title Sequences, Episodics, and Music Videos
- October 18, 2018: Late Entry Deadline for Feature Films, Short Films, Virtual Cinema, Texas High School Short Films, Title Sequences, Episodics, and Music Videos
- December 13, 2018: Final Deadline for Texas High School Short Films and Title Sequences
To apply please visit: https://www.sxsw.com/film/2018/submit-your-film-to-sxsw-film-festival-2019/. If you have any questions about the film festival or submitting your film please email email@example.com.
If your company is a member of ATC you can reserve discounted badges to purchase with this offer by October 31st, 2018. To receive the ATC discounted rate you must first fill out the “SXSW 2019 Badge Reservation Form” located here: http://info.austintechnologycouncil.org/sxsw-2019-badge-reservation-atc-member-companies-0?utm_campaign=SXSW%202019%20&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=65102479&_hsenc=p2ANqtz–pwJqA87ud7h79ot9gaH2ThhX09RJaJD6JUg3njEeCKmjLB6x6asMsd6wf9n7TJV4dmFliDE80wF-7pKqd_FbsitlHwQ&_hsmi=65102479
The week of January 7th, 2018 you will receive an email containing final discounted prices per badge. You will have January 7-9 to confirm your reservation via email. Please note: Badge discounts are for ATC Members only. Failure of confirmation within the dates given will result in the customer receiving no badge discount codes. For more information about the ATC discounted badges for SXSW please click here. If you want to become an ATC member please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Panel Picker community voting for SXSW EDU, SXSW Gaming and SXSW Conference is now open from August 6th through August 30th. To vote on the entries for the SXSW 2019 Conference and SXSW Gaming please visit: https://panelpicker.sxsw.com/vote?search[conference_id]=35. To vote on the SXSW EDU entries please visit: https://panelpicker.sxsw.com/vote?search[conference_id]=34.
If you want to be involved with SXSW 2019 below are a few options to be part of the biggest festival in Austin.
- Showcase Applications
- Film Submissions
- SXSW Art Program Applications
- SXSW Pitch (Accelerator)
- SXSW Place by Design
- SXSW Interactive Innovation Awards
As your local SXSW events informant and on ground zero for the festival I will continue to post updates for SXSW 2019 as soon as I receive them. For more information about SXSW 2019 click here. See you all at SXSW 2019!!
Source: SXSW, ATC, Claudio-Fox