The biggest RETRO video game convention in Texas and one of the top 10 in the USA is returning to Austin this summer. The CLASSIC GAME FEST 2017 starts on July 29th through the 30th at the PALMER EVENTS CENTER located at 900 Barton Springs Road, Austin, TX 78704.
This year will mark their 10th anniversary (2008-2017) and over 6,000 attendees are to be expected. The CLASSIC GAME FEST includes more than 119 Vendors and covers over 70,000sf of exhibit and vendor space. It is one of the cheapest retro gaming events to attend with prices ranging from $15-$30 each and kids 12 and under get in FREE.
The CLASSIC GAME FEST consist of:
- Retro game tournaments
- Freeplay Arcade & Pinball games
- Classic Video Game Museum
- Cash 4 Games trade in station
- Retro Game Repairs
- Costume Contests
- Fan Groups
- Special Guests
- 20 LIVE video game cover bands – If your are attending check out TekForce‘s performance during the event.
The “Featured Speakers” include:
- Ernest Cline – Author – Ready Player One, Armada
- Billy Mitchell – Legend – first to play a perfect game of PacMan
- Walter Day – the REF – founder of Twin Galaxies
- John “Gamester81” Lester
- Norman Caruso – the Gaming Historian
- Jared Thorbahn – Cheap Ass Gamer
- Brett Weiss – Author
- Pat Contri – the NES Punk
- Jason Lord – Industry expert
- NPC Collective – Nerdcore MEGA panel!
- Austin Institute of Art – Game Design Program
- Women in Game Development
This years attendees can enter the #myCGF Contest to Win 2 FREE VIP Weekend Passes. Below is how to enter, rules and more information about the contest.
- Share with us your own homemade CLASSIC GAME FEST commercial.
- Tag your entry with hashtag #myCGF and share it with Classic Game Fest on Twitter or Facebook by June 30th.
- Each entry gets 1 FREE pass into CLASSIC GAME FEST on Sunday, July 30th
- The Top 3 Winners will receive 2 FREE VIP Weekend Passes a $60 value
- Make it unique and tell us what you love about CLASSIC GAME FEST or what you expect from this year’s event
- Create a comical skit or interview your friends and family
- Limit 1 entry per person
- Any video submitted to the contest may be used for promotional purposes.
- Video submission must be no longer than 60 seconds
- Contest ends on 6/30/17
Note: Any and all ideas are welcome as long as your submission expresses why you love CLASSIC GAME FEST!
CLASSIC GAME FEST will be open from 10:00am – 7:00pm on Saturday, July 29th, and from 10:00am – 6:00pm on Sunday, July 30th. The CLASSIC GAME FEST‘s schedule is coming soon but not yet posted. Here is the link for future referece: http://classicgamefest.com/schedule/.
General admission and VIP tickets can be purchased here and start at $15.00 for adults while kids under 12 get in free. Though kids get in FREE they do need a wristband on the ticket page.They must have a parent/guardian to supervise and accompany them at all times at the CLASSIC GAME FEST as well.
Palmer Events Center is conveniently located only a short walk from many hotels, restaurants, bus stops, and bike rental stations. Below are a few local restaurants and hotels you may want to consider experiencing while in Austin during the CLASSIC GAME FEST.
- Embassy Suites Austin Town Lake
- Extended Stay America Austin Town Lake
- Radisson Hotel & Suites Austin Downtown
- Hyatt Regency Austin
- Best Western Plus Austin City Hotel
RESTAURANTS & FOOD TRAILERS:
- El Alma
- Terry Black’s Barbecue
- Short Bus Subs
- Sno-Beach Hawaiian Shaved Ice
- Sandy’s Hamburgers
- P.Terry’s Burger Stand
- Green Mesquite BBQ and More
- The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf
- Toastie’s Sub Shop
Limited street parking is available near the Palmer Events Center at no cost. Paid parking is available for $8 per day in the parking garage located next to the venue. Entrances can be found on Riverside Drive near South 1st Street and Barton Springs Road between Bouldin and Dawson Streets. Local buses make frequent stops nearby and bicycle parking is available at bike racks located outside the entrances to the parking garage.
I definitely will be at the CLASSIC GAME FEST and will have live coverage on my twitter and facebook accounts. See all you gamers there!
Source: CLASSIC GAME FEST