Today at the World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC) in San Jose, Apple had several announcements including iOS 11, WatchOS 4, HomePod, the new iPad Pro and iMac Pro, and a preview of the all-new and redesigned Apple App Store plus several more announcements.
WWDC runs till June 9th and I am sure there will be several announcements during the week. In the meantime below is a list provided by Apple’s press releases that has been announced so far by Apple on day 1 of WWDC 2017:
iOS 11 New Features to iPhone and iPad for This Fall
- iOS 11 was previewed with a major update to the mobile operating system, bringing new experiences and hundreds of features to iPhone and iPad this fall.
- iOS 11 is the biggest software release ever for iPad, with powerful multitasking features, the Files app and more ways to use Apple Pencil.
- iOS devices come with a new platform for developers to build apps that let users place virtual content on top of real-world scenes. CoreML gives developers on-device machine learning capabilities so they can easily make apps that will predict, learn and become more intelligent.
- Additional features include the ability to pay friends using Apple Pay, Do Not Disturb while driving, a new voice for Siri and new professional capabilities to Photos and Camera.
- iOS 11 is available as a developer preview today and will be a free software update for iPhone and iPad this fall.
The new iPad Pro, in 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch Models Introduced
- The all-new 10.5-inch iPad Pro and a new 12.9-inch iPad Pro features the world’s most advanced display with ProMotion technology and performance with the new A10X Fusion chip.
- The new iPad Pro 10.5-inch model reduces the borders by nearly 40 percent to fit into a compact package that still weighs just one pound.
- The iPad Pro features iOS 11 with all-new Files app, customizable Dock, improved multitasking and deeper integration of Apple Pencil and iPad Pro.
watchOS 4 and features for Apple Watch
- The watchOS 4 was also previewed today featuring a proactive Siri watch face that displays the information users need most throughout the day, personalized Activity coaching and an entirely new music experience.
- The update features an enhanced Workout app and introduces GymKit, a groundbreaking technology platform that will offer customers connected workouts with cardio equipment.
- Siri intelligence extends further into Apple Watch with the new Siri watch face. With each raise of the wrist, the information on the display dynamically updates.
- The updates are based on the time of day, daily routines and pertinent data from apps such as Activity, Alarms, Breathe, Calendar, Maps, Reminders and Wallet, as well as headlines from the new Apple News app for Apple Watches.
- The Apple watch also has new summer band colors that includes vibrant Sports Bands, a bright yellow Classic Buckle and Nike Sport Band options that color-match with the Nike Air VaporMax Flyknit Day to Night Collection.
- Apple announced HomePod, a breakthrough wireless speaker for the home that delivers amazing audio quality and uses spatial awareness to sense its location in a room and automatically adjust the audio.
- It is designed to work with an Apple Music subscription for access to over 40 million songs, HomePod provides deep knowledge of personal music preferences and tastes and helps users discover new music.
- HomePod features a large, Apple-designed woofer for deep, clean bass, a custom array of seven beam-forming tweeters that provide pure high frequency acoustics with incredible directional control and powerful technologies built right in to preserve the richness and intent of the original recordings.
- HomePod will be available starting in December, initially in Australia, the UK and the US and pricing is TBD.
MacBook and MacBook Pro Updated With Faster Processors
- The iMac line was updated with three times more powerful graphics, faster processors, Thunderbolt 3, faster storage options and a brighter Retina 4K display and discrete graphics.
- The updated iMac line also delivers powerful performance for 3D graphics, video editing, virtual reality content creation and gaming, and with macOS High Sierra coming this fall.
- MacBook and MacBook Pro have both been updated with faster processors and added faster SSDs to the MacBook as well.
- The new 21.5-inch iMac Price Point: $1,299 (US).
- The new 13-inch MacBook Pro was also Introduced during these announcements with a price point of $1,299 (US).
- Sneak peek of iMac Pro, an entirely new workstation-class product line designed for pro users with the most demanding workflows.
- The all-new iMac Pro, with its gorgeous 27-inch Retina 5K display, up to 18-core Xeon processors and up to 22 Teraflops of graphics computation, is the most powerful Mac ever made.
- Featuring a new space gray enclosure, iMac Pro packs performance for advanced graphics editing, virtual reality content creation and real-time 3D rendering.
- The iMac Pro is scheduled to ship in December starting at $4,999 (US).
All-New and Redesigned App Store
- The all-new redesigned App Store includes original stories and editorial, updated daily in a new Today tab, as well as new Games and Apps tabs.
- The App Store will include compelling stories, in-depth interviews, tips and collections of must-have apps and games to inform, help and inspire customers every day.
- App Store customers have now downloaded more than 180 billion apps and Apple has paid out over $70 billion to developers since the store launched in 2008, making it the most vibrant software marketplace in the world.
- The macOS High Sierra was previewed which is the latest version of the world’s most advanced desktop operating system, delivering new core storage, video and graphics technologies.
- It offers an all-new file system, support for High-Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) and an update to Metal, Apple’s advanced graphics technology that powers everything from machine learning to virtual reality content creation.
- macOS High Sierra also includes a number of refinements to the apps Mac customers use every day, including Photos, Safari and Mail.
This concludes what Apple has announced at WWDC as of Day 1. I’m not sure about everyone else but I am excited to see what else gets announced throughout the week! Stay tuned!
Source: Apple.com, Apple’s Press Room
*Directly cited from Apple.com