With the cancellation of the SXSW 2020 Music Festival due to COVID-19, music fans are wondering where they can here the bands they would have seen at the festival. The SXSW team has collected a few ways for you to discover some of these great acts, support them, and resources which may be helpful for you or the people you work with during this pandemic.
Watching a stream or video will never replace the experience of seeing a show live and in person. The SXSW team has seen some pretty amazing artists find creative ways to make video content unique and stand out in a different way. They’ve asked the artists who were meant to perform at SXSW 2020 to send us a video of them performing live.
Thus far, they have been handed around 250 videos including a mind-blowing NBA half-time show, a 6,000 member quarantine choir covering David Bowie’s “Heroes”, a mosh pit singalong in Indonesia, a cello performance in a former East Berlin GDR broadcasting studio, and even one in an Austin laundromat. You can see them all on the Keep Up with SXSW 2020 Showcasing Artists playlist on Youtube – you can find the individual videos on the SXSW Schedule as well.
Below is a list that SXSW has compiled of resources for those in the music industry/community.
- AIM – Association of Independent Music (United Kingdom)
- American Association of Independent Musicians
- Apple Music $50m indie label advance fund
- Arts Council Covid Funding/Support (England)
- ASCAP Music Unites Us
- Billboard’s State-by-State Resource Guide for Music Professionals
- BPI – British Phonographic Industry (United Kingdom)
- Corona Musicians– Corona Advice For Musicians
- Coronavirus Financial Hardship Fund
- Creative Scotland Covid Impact Funds
- GEMA Emergency Relief Programme (Germany)
- Global Relief Fund For Live Music Crews
- Help Musicians (United Kindom)
- IMRO Covid Advice and Resources Page for Irish Musicians (Ireland)
- Independent Venue Week
- Ireland Performs (Ireland)
- MMF – Music Managers Forum (United Kingdom)
- Music For Mental Wealth
- MusiCares COVID-19 Relief Fund
- MusicHelps (New Zealand)
- Musicians Union Covid Hardship Fund (United Kingdom)
- National Center for Music Emergency Fund (France)
- PRS Emergency Relief Fund (United Kingdom)
- Sony Global Relief Fund for Covid-19
- Sound of Silence (Australia)
- Spotify COVID-19 Music Relief
- Sweet Relief Musicians Fund
- The Record Union – Musician Wellness Starter Pack
- Worldwide Independent Network
As we continue through this trying time for the world, the team at SXSW is continuing to work on the shuffle of getting those artists who were supposed to be at SXSW show cased one way or another. As we previously posted as of April 27th SXSW 2020 Films will be available on Amazon Prime.
For more information or to stay up to date on SXSW please visit: www.sxsw.com.
Source: SXSW, Youtube