Though SXSW 2018 (South By Southwest) isn’t till March there are a lot of events and deadlines potential attendees should know about. As your SXSW ground zero informant I wanted to give you all an update of all things SX currently going on.
As of August 7th the polls are now open and voting has begun on the 4000+ speaking proposals in the 2018 SXSW PanelPicker®. Voters can use the search button at the top left corner of the interface to find the content. The PanelPicker closes at the end of the day on Friday, August 25. This public voting (as well as Advisory Board input and extensive staff analysis) helps SXSW staff determine the best of these speaking ideas, which are then added to the SXSW 2018 lineup.
The dates for SXSW festival are March 9-17, 2018 in Austin, Texas. Registration and Lodging for SXSW 2018 is now open! If you register for SXSW now you will save more than 35% on the walkup rate. Attendees of SXSW can book lodging via the SXSW Housing & Travel Department. Below is the current SXSW badge pricing chart:Volunteers
SXSW Volunteer registration is not open yet but will be opening soon, check back on the registration page later this summer. Volunteers who live more than 30 miles from the Austin Convention Center may also choose to be an OOT Volunteer.
ALL-CONFERENCE VOLUNTEERS ARE REQUIRED TO:
- Be at least 16 years of age.* Some crews may have additional age requirements dependent on their area of operation.
- Work a minimum of 24 hours
- Attend in-person crew training, if required (times and dates TBD)
- View and complete the online volunteer training video and quiz
- Have a valid email address (no sharing of email addresses, please)
- Be responsible for working with SXSW Crew Managers to create your own schedule
- Agree to the Volunteer Release & Waiver of Liability
- Acknowledge and adhere to the Volunteer Policies and Guidelines
- Planning Event Coordinator Intern
- Social Media Intern
- Software Development Team Intern
The current SXSW 2018 overview is below:Other important SXSW news items and deadlines:
- Keynotes for SXSW 2018 include Academy Award-winning director Barry Jenkins, best-selling author Ester Perel and quantum computing expert whurley.
- Featured Speakers for March in Austin include Bob Richards (Moon Express, Inc), Bernard J. Tyson (Kaiser Permanente), Ingrid Vanderveldt (Empowering a Billion Women by 2020), Cleo Wade (artist, speaker, poet) and Amy Webb (Future Today Institute). More Featured Speakers will be announced on Tuesday, August 29.
- Apply for the SXSW Art Program before the Friday, September 8 deadline. Or, save on the entry fee by entering before end of day on Friday, August 11.
- Answer the question “In the future, how do you understand what is real and what is fake?” to be part of the David Carr Prize for 2018. Application deadline is October 13.
- If you are a startup, then you should be part of the SXSW Accelerator Pitch Event. Entry deadline for this competition is Friday, November 10.
As SXSW 2018 approaches I will be keeping you all updated since Austin is my hometown and will also be attending SXSW as press again for the 4th year in a row (hopefully). For more information about SXSW 2018 click here.