The key once you arrive into Austin (ATX) is to know where the Austin Convention Center is located in regards to where you are staying during SX. The Austin Convention center is located at 500 E. Cesar Chavez St. Austin, TX 78701 and parking is very limited.
The Austin Convention Center contains:
- SXSW Registration: Badge pickup is available in Exhibit Hall 5
- SXSW Conference: Keynotes, Features Speakers sessions, interviews, mentor sessions, and more
- SXSW Exhibitions: Trade Show, Pitch Stage, Next Stage, SXSW Gaming Expo, Flatstock 59 Poster Show, SXSW Job Market, and more
- Film Screenings
- Music Radio and International Day Stages
Eventbrite is your best friend at SXSW to locate SXSW day events, happy hours and evening parties. If you’re attending SXSW I suggest getting the Eventbrite app along with the SXSW app. It is very helpful especially if you’re stuck at a lame event or party; it gives you the option to leave the lame party and look for something else during SXSW.
Do512 is also a great resource to find SXSW events. They have an entire section of SXSW events and parties that you can RSVP for before SXSW event starts. Click here if you like to see their list of SXSW events.
If you don’t have any SXSW festival badges but want to be part of the fun, sign up for the SXSW Guest Pass. Getting your SXSW Guest Pass is quick and easy by just clicking the “Get Your Guest Pass Now” button on the SXSW Guest Pass site and proceed to create your account. Once checked out you can also start building your SXSW Guest Pass schedule and RSVP for events.
The SXSW Guest Pass is your free credential to events going on at the SXSW Job Market, SXSW Create, Open Source Pavillion, Flatstock 59, SXSW Marketplace, films on the lawn or shows at Lady Bird Lake.
- SXSW Create is the hardware hacking and maker arm of the SXSW festival has returned with more space, more hands-on technology and a diverse mix of activities from 3D printing to drones to biohacking.
- Open Source Pavilion at SXSW Create
- The Open Source Pavilion at SXSW Create showcases the collaborative engineering, shared design, and open source hardware that is presented by Red Hat.
- SXSW Create starts Friday, March 10 through Sunday, March 12 from 11:00am – 6:00pm at the Palmer Events Center. All Badges are accepted and open to the public with free SXSW Guest Pass.
- Open Source Pavilion at SXSW Create
- Flatstock 59 Stage will display the works of the world’s top gig poster artists
- The show features posters of varying styles, colors and techniques for sale by the talented artists who created them
- SXSW Job Market is a convenient meeting spot for innovative thinkers and equally innovative companies
- Job Market enables these professionals to match their skills with 21st century, cutting-edge employers
- Starts on March 11th through 12th
- SXSW Market Place is the first installment of the SXSW Marketplace
- It brings together local Austin boutiques and hand-selected national/global brands to create a unique shopping experience at the epicenter of SXSW
- It begins March 16th through the 18th.
- Lady Bird Lake is where most of the free films and concerts with your SXSW Guest Pass that you can attend during SXSW
- The lawn looks over the lake and downtown Austin and is just breath taking
- It does get crowded so show up early
- To check out the SXSW outdoor concert schedule click here.
Below are two ways to win prizes with your SXSW Guest Pass:
#1 Download The SXSW Go App
- Download SXSW GO, the official SXSW mobile app, then log in with the account used for your Guest Pass to instantly become eligible to win one of two pairs of SXSW 2017 badges, to be given away on March 9 and 14.*
- SXSW GO allows you to create a custom schedule, see maps and get directions, discover new events, and keeps you up-to-date on all things SX.
- *Terms & Conditions apply
#2 Check Daily SXSW Guest Pass Emails During Sxsweek®
- Daily Guest Pass emails identify access to new events, provide updates, and let you in on our daily prize giveaway!
- Answer a fun poll or quiz question for your chance to win a pair of Music, Film, or Gaming wristbands, or a $100 Waterloo Records gift certificate.
Austin does NOT have Uber or Lift so your other options that are the official car services of SXSW are:
- FASTEN is the Official Rideshare Service of SXSW 2017
- Fasten doesn’t just find you a ride in no time, they do it in a way that is fair for everyone.
- Drivers are charged just 99¢ a trip instead of 25% or more.
- Download the app and get $5 off your first ride with promo code: RIDEON. Download the Fasten App »
- Enterprise is the preferred rental car vendor for SXSW
- Bookings: www.enterprise.com or 800-RENT-A-CAR. Use group code L65SXSW and 3-digit PIN: SXS.
- SXSW Festival free shuttle service:
- The SXSW circulating shuttle runs between the Austin Convention Center and most festival venues. Shuttles leave the Convention Center during conference hours every 10 minutes.
- The SXSW Festival Shuttle is located outside the Convention Center on Trinity Street and below is the shuttle schedule.
- Shuttle Schedule:
- Friday, March 10 | 10:30am – 3am
- Saturday, March 11 – Saturday, March 18 | 9am – 3am
- *Sunday, March 12 the shuttles will run until 3:30am due to daylight savings time
As you pack for SXSW don’t forget these key must have’s for the festival:
- Pack an insane amount of business cards
- Portable Charger
- Tide stick
- Anti-Bacterial gel
- Rain Pancho (it has rained here every SXSW that I have attended best to be safe than sorry)
- Bottle Water
- Snacks (I always forget to eat at these things)
If you want to follow where I will be throughout the festival I will be tweeting LIVE on @nrpena and @hitechchic plus YouTube videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/nrcpena. I will also be going LIVE on Facebook on https://www.facebook.com/nina.pena.
See all you SXSW goers in a couple days!
Source: SXSW Site