After a full year of dealing with the pandemic, we could all use a good laugh from the comedians who have not been able to perform LIVE throughout the year due to venues being closed. To bring laughter virtually, SXSW Comedy has invited some of the most lauded comedy venues from around the country to present live shows from their home stages, most for the first time in nearly a year.
For SXSW Comedy, each club curated an impressive lineup of regulars, excited to be back on a real stage for a live audience and the result is a fascinating comedy time capsule. To achieve this, each comedy club has made efforts to safely assemble a small audience reveals an enthusiasm to resume comedy.
- Acme Comedy Co. (Minneapolis)
- Comedians: Chloe Radcliffe, Greg Coleman, Mike Earley, Shannan Paul, Tommy Ryman
- Dynasty Typewriter (Los Angeles)
- Comedians: Beth Stelling, Billy Wayne Davis, Daniel Webb, Joel Kim Booster, Kimberly Clark, Reggie Watts
- Gotham Comedy Club (New York City)
- Comedians: Erin Jackson, Matthew Broussard, Monroe Martin, Nathan Macintosh, Ophira Eisenberg
- Hollywood Improv
- Comedians: Chris Porter, Donnell Rawlings, J.F. Harris, Lara Beitz, Pete Lee, Orlando Leyba
- Laughing Skull Lounge (Atlanta)
- Comedians: Clayton English, Ian Aber, Katie Hughes, Lace Larrabee, Shaunak Godkhindi
- The Stand NYC
- Comedians: Dan Soder, Derek Gaines, Emma Willmann, Ian Lara, Rosebud Baker, Sam Jay, Shane Gillis
- Zanies Comedy Club (Chicago)
- Comedians: Calvin Evans, Correy Bell, Em Brown, Matty Ryan, Sarah Perry
Comedy Special Events
SXSW Comedy presents Bring Back Laughs. Last summer Rebecca Trent, owner/operator of The Creek & The Cave comedy clubhouse in Queens put on comedy shows in a parking lot using the bed of a pick-up truck as a makeshift stage. Those shows inspired a two-day comedy fundraiser. This special presentation features select performances from that weekend by Carmen Lynch, Janeane Garofalo, Lucas Brothers, Myq Kaplan, Nore Davis, Rojo Perez, Roy Wood Jr., Tone Bell, and Victor Varnado.
The 2021 Comedy Festival will also include quarantine versions of SXSW Comedy’s longest-running shows including the hit game-show podcast Doug Loves Movies hosted by Doug Benson. Watch and listen as Doug and friends (Arden Myrin, Jerry Trainor, and Rob Benedict) sit down and discuss his first love: movies!
Plus, Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre (UCB) cofounder, Matt Besser, brings the largest cast of players yet to SXSW for the improv4humans podcast. Besser brought his talents to Earwolf with a fully improvised weekly podcast featuring the best improvisers in the universe.
To learn more about SXSW Comedy please visit: https://www.sxsw.com/festivals/comedy/.