The third annual SXSW Art Program takes place March 8th through March 16th in downtown Austin. Attendees experience one-of-a-kind art installations by both established and emerging artists throughout SXSW venues and throughout Austin. SXSW Art Program recently announced their selections for the conference. The selections for SXSW 2019 Art program were made in collaboration with the SXSW Art Program Advisory Board including Andrea Mellard of the Contemporary Austin, Suhair Khan of Google Arts & Culture, Kim Cook of Burning Man, and more. Per SXSW, this year’s selections use technology as a vehicle to explore a variety of topics including the human spirit, cultural traditions, and how we interact with our environment. Below are the newest announcements and highlight for the SXSW Art Program.
The 2019 SXSW Art Program includes:
- Blooming by Lisa Park
- Belongings by John-Paul Marin, Matt Smith, Patrick Abboud, Tea Uglow, and Kirstin Sillitoe
- EVERY THING EVERY TIME by Naho Matsuda produced by FutureEverything
- hash2ash and APPARATUM by panGenerator, Krzysztof Cybulski, Krzysztof Goliński, and Jakub Koźniewski
- Semeion by Circuit Circus
- Arctic Passage by Louie Palu
This lineup of artists joins events across the entirety of SXSW that showcase innovation, diversity, and creativity in visual and media arts including The Contemporary Austin, Facebook Art Department, UNESCO New Media Arts Exhibition, and more.
New for SXSW 2019 Art Program:
New this year there will be a series of sessions in the SXSW Conference within the Design Track that feature art-focused conversations. Listed below are Conference sessions and additional highlights relating to the Art Program.
- Humanizing Innovation Through Artist Residencies
- 400 Years of Inequality
- The Changing Role of Women in the Arts
- Art and Technology Can Create Panoramic Possibilities
- Acts of Sharing: How Art Fosters Empathy
Additional Programming Highlights
Below are the art-related sessions within their 25 Tracks of programming at the SXSW Conference.
- The Art Of Failure: Driving Creative Innovation (Entrepreneurship & Startups)
- Creating Contemporary Art in Virtual Reality (VR/AR/MR)
- Art Museum as Spaces of Digital Play (VR/AR/MR)
- Hope and Healing through Arts Education (Social & Global Impact)
- Mummies to Manet: Immersive Experiments in Museums (Experiential Storytelling)
- Nonprofit Arts Administrators and Artists Meet Up (Experiential Storytelling)
- Asian American Artists and Entrepreneurs Meet Up (Entrepreneurship & Startups)
- AI and the Future of Storytelling (Experiential Storytelling)
- Do it in a Dome! The Planetarium as an Arts Medium (Experiential Storytelling)
- BANDALOOP: Performance as Social Activism (Experiential Storytelling)
- PopUps: Designing for Emotional Experiences (Experiential Storytelling)
- Being The Change Through Art Meet Up (Social & Global Impact)
- The Civics of Art and Music (Media & Journalism)
- The Future of Gender Identities in Art and Media (Social & Global Impact)
Art Related Films
Below are the art-related world premieres in the Documentary Feature Competition screening section at the SXSW Film Festival.
- Museum Town
- Well Groomed
- Vision Portraits
- Why Can’t I Be Me? Around You
- Leave the Bus Through the Broken Window
To learn more about the SXSW Art Program please visit: https://www.sxsw.com/apply-to-participate/sxsw-art-program/. To register to attend SXSW 2019 or for more information about the festival please visit: www.sxsw.com.
Keep checking back on Hi-tech Chic for the latest SXSW 2019 announcements as we will be covering it for the 6th year in a row.