As we continue disaster relief from Hurricane Harvey we still have a lot to rebuilding here in Texas. Per Reuters, Hurricane Harvey floodwaters had encroached on at least 30,000 properties in the two counties, with a total market value of $23.4 billion. Reuters also estimated 26% is land value; the rest is buildings and other improvements. In Harris County, where Reuters was able to determine the property’s use, about 18% of the affected property is residential. As of today there are more than 103,000 individuals and households had been approved for FEMA assistance worth more than $66.4 million but that is not all the victims and the count continues to grow.
Below is the list of free shelters by HIPCAMP, Houston Independent School District Update and Donation information.
HIPCAMP Free Shelters
HIPCAMP is a camping site that allows users to Search, discover and book over 285,000 campsites, ranches, vineyards, farms, public parks and more. For Hurricane Harvey victims HIPCAMP has 8 sites offering Houstonians free shelters.
Below is the list of free shelters provided by HIPCAMP:
- FLYCATCHER FARMS: 30 MIN SOUTH OF AUSTIN – www.hipcamp.com/texas/flycatcher-farm/flycatcher-farms
- 7 acres of ground are available for tent campers on this farm. The site is animal-friendly for Houstonians with pets.
- STARTZ CATTLE COMPANY: 30 MIN SOUTH OF SAN ANTONIO – www.hipcamp.com/texas/startz-cattle-company/startz-cattle-company-ranch
- Tent campers are welcome to stay on this working cattle ranch.
- SLEEPING PORCH HIDEAWAY: 30 MIN NW OF SAN ANTONIO – www.hipcamp.com/discover/texas/the-sleeping-porch-hideaway
- Although this location can only house one family, they can bring pets and horses.
- HARMONY HAVEN: 30 MIN SOUTH OF WACO – www.hipcamp.com/texas/harmony-haven-camping/harmony-haven-camping
- Tent campers and RVs can both be accommodated at this location. The site has drinking water, an indoor bathroom, and electricity for charging phones.
- WALKER HONEY FARM: 1 HR NORTH OF AUSTIN – www.hipcamp.com/discover/texas/walker-honey-farm-and-dancing-bee-winery-vineyard
- There is room for four RVs at this beekeeper operation and farm.
- MUSIC SPRINGS: 40 MIN NORTH OF TYLER – www.hipcamp.com/discover/texas/music-springs RV campers are welcome to shelter at this site.
- SANDY RIDGE RV CAMPING: 1.5 HOURS EAST OF FORT WORTH – www.hipcamp.com/texas/canton/sandy-ridge-rv-camping
- This site has one camping trailer available that can sleep 5-6. Electricity, cold water, and a flushable toilet are all available. The site can also host outdoor pets and limited livestock.
- JACKASS FLATS CAMPGROUND: 1.5 HRS SOUTH OF MARFA – www.hipcamp.com/texas/jackass-flats-campground/jackass-flats-camp-and-cabin
- This campground can host both tent campers and RVs.
More listings will be added soon. Learn more about each of these sites here: https://www.hipcamp.com/journal/vision/hurricane-harvey-hosts-offering-evacuees-a-free-place-to-stay
Per the Houston Independent School District (HISD) site, the first day of school for HISD students will be Monday, Sept. 11, weather and facility conditions permitting. In addition, HISD’s uniform policy will be relaxed until January 2018.
HISD’s administrative buildings will reopen and employees will return to work starting on Tuesday Sept. 5. School principals and their administrative staffs will also return to work starting on Tuesday Sept. 5. Teachers and all other staff will report back on Friday, Sept. 8, to prepare to receive students before classes begin on Sep. 11. To donate, stay current or to find out if your school opens later visit the HISD site located here.
There are several companies to donate to for Hurricane Harvey disaster relief. Below are a few sites where you can make donations for Hurricane Harvey victims.
- Red Cross – http://www.redcross.org/index.jsp;jsessionid=C4C6621E73ADF2A4B82AE48C1EE914FA
- Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund – https://ghcf.org/hurricane-relief/
- Central Texas Food Bank – https://secure3.convio.net/cafbtx/site/Donation2;jsessionid=00000000.app337a?df_id=12740&mfc_pref=T&12740.donation=form1&NONCE_TOKEN=53907C6284FD13C989EF9376452B4D0D
- United Way – https://www.unitedwayhouston.org/flood
- Americares – https://secure.americares.org/site/Donation2?df_id=22188&mfc_pref=T&22188.donation=form1&_ga=2.157052411.1900591262.1503858899-1749938289.1503858899
- Salvation Army – https://give.salvationarmyusa.org/site/Donation2;jsessionid=00000000.app30108b?df_id=27651&mfc_pref=T&27651.donation=form1&NONCE_TOKEN=A285451052EF7C675674983F73F1FCB5
- Save the Children – https://spvolunteernetwork.samaritanspurse.org/hurricane-harvey-reponse/
- Global Giving – https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/hurricane-harvey-relief-fund/
- Heart to Heart – http://www.hearttoheart.org/
- HISD – http://www.houstonisd.org/harvey
Our prayers go out to all the Hurricane Harvey victims! Stay strong my fellow Texans!