For those in Texas and Louisiana Hurricane Harvey is on its way or fast approaching and moving quickly. In a land where we have media in the palm of our hands and rely on smartphones getting an app to track the hurricane is a good idea. There are two free apps that I suggest checking out, iHurricane and NOAA Weather Tracker apps. Below are screen shots of each app:
NOAA Weather Radar App
iHurricane Hurricane Tracker App
Since not 100% of the United States own smartphones your best bet is to watch your local news channels. Austin’s KVUE channel has a Hurricane Tracker that is not only for Austin but for the entire states effected by the storm. KVUE’s Hurricane Tracker can be found here: http://www.kvue.com/weather/hurricane-central
Below are some safety tips provided by Hurricaneville to guide you through Hurricane Harvey:
- Enter the season prepared.
- Know all evacuation routes if you live close to the coast.
- Make sure your home meets building codes for withstanding hurricanes, and they have storm shutters.
- Have proper tools, supplies, and a first aid kit.
- Have plenty of batteries and flashlights
- Always have plenty of non-perishable foods on hand.
During Watch and Warning Issued:
- Leave low lying areas.
- Protect windows with plywood boards, or storm shutters.
- Secure outside objects.
- Make sure you have plenty of fuel and water.
- Have several days supply of food and water for each family member.
- If called to evacuate, do so immediately.
Before the Storm:
- Be ready to put your plan and preparation into action.
- Pay attention to local weather reports on radio, television, or the internet.
- Have house boarded up, or have storm shutters in place.
- Have plenty of food and water.
- Make sure all your tools, supplies, and first aid kit available for use.
- Have a secure room available.
During the Storm:
- Stay in Secure Room.
- Stay away from windows.
- Do not use the phone, or candles.
- Monitor Weather and Civil Service Bulletins on either regular or NOAA radio.
- Have supplies on hand.
- Remain indoors when the eye moves over your area because the storm will resume shortly.
After the Storm:
- Make sure that all is definitely clear outside, and the storm has completely passed before going out.
- Report downed power lines, and stay away from them.
- Use stored water and food.
- Be patient. Things will take a while before they get back to normal.
Stay safe for all those that in are in the Hurricane Harvey path!