Today, Turtlemania celebrates World Turtle Day, May 23, 2019 to “bring attention to, and increase knowledge of and respect for turtles and tortoises, and encourage action to help them thrive.” The kind people of County Line on the Lake wanted me to pass along their festivities for the rest of Turtlemania day. County Line style will live up to its motto of “Drink Beer. Save Turtles” by offering $10 pints (with $4 refills) of local Hops & Grain Brewing’s lager River Beer—in a souvenir pint glass. Proceeds from beer sales will benefit the Turtle Survival Alliance’s North American Freshwater Turtle Research Group.
County Line BBQ restaurants will again celebrate its turtle customers and human ones, too with Turtlemania when 20+ North American Freshwater Turtle Research Group volunteers and divers from all over the country will:
- capture the turtles and bring them to land
- tag new turtles with a small micro-chip
- tattoo new softshell turtles
- examine new and those tagged from 2016 – 2018 (nearly 700 unique turtles representing six native species) which includes measuring, weighing, and determining the sex and the health of the turtles
Though it’s late in the day they still have evening Turtlemania, see the below details!
Thursday, May 23 – 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m – Research on turtles
Thursday, May 23 – 5:30 to 8 p.m. – Turtlemania’s “Drink Beer. Save Turtles” celebration with $10 pints (with $4 refills) of local Hops & Grain Brewing’s lager River Beer—in a souvenir pint glass. Proceeds from beer sales will benefit the Turtle Survival Alliance’s North American Freshwater Turtle Research Group
- Lots of children and families show up for this annual event
- Eric Munscher, Director of the Turtle Survival Alliance’s North American Freshwater Turtle Research Group
- Spanish-speaking spokesperson available from Alliance
- Scott Ziskovsky, Director of Marketing, County Line Bar-B-Q Restaurants
- Dr. Brian Hauge, professor of Biology at Peninsula College and Western Washington Univ, who has studied freshwater turtles for 25+ years
County Line on the Lake is located at 5204 FM 2222 in Austin, Texas. Visit www.countyline.com or follow the County Line on the Lake on Facebook for updates on all the restaurant’s events, Happy Hours and specials. Call 512-346-3664 for more information.
The Turtle Survival Alliance’s mission is to transform passion for turtles into effective conversation action through a global network of living collections and recovery programs. The TSA’s North American Freshwater Turtle Research Group is composed of professional scientists, students, and interested members of the public who want to make a difference. Visit http://www.turtlesurvival.org/ for more information.
Source: County Line on the Lake, TurtleSurvival.org