Hot off the press…
Coach is celebrating 75 years of craftsmanship with a global online auction of 48 customized vintage bags beginning October 19th. The auction will launch online HERE and will be available until October 28th at 5pm EST.
The collection includes newly restored, one-of-a-kind vintage bags and collaborative bags inspired by Lena Dunham, Debbie Harry, Kate Bosworth, Chloe Grace Moretz and more.
The first $50,000 in sales from this auction will benefit The Costume Institute at The Metropolitan Museum of Art to ensure the preservation of fashion history and advance fashion as an art form.
Iconic and original Coach silhouettes, including the Duffle (1971), the Saddle (1972) and the Dinky (1980), were customized by hand for the auction according to three different themes:
- Celebrity-Inspired Bags: 11 pieces featured in the auction are dedicated to Coach Executive Creative Director Stuart Vevers’s long-time friends and muses. Each of these bespoke bags references the individual’s character and personality, and is finished with a Coach hangtag signed by the muse who inspired it. These include the revered Debbie Harry, the ingenious Lena Dunham and the effortlessly cool Kate Bosworth. Other friends of Coach represented include campaign star Chloe Grace Moretz, model Dree Hemingway and more.
- Bags Customized with Modern Icons and Motifs: 26 bags have been sourced and refurbished and then specially re-worked and crafted in Coach’s leather workshop in NYC. Each personalized bag reflects Coach’s history and quality, but is re-imagined for today’s modern Coach girl with unique design applications like fringe, patches and studs.
- One-of-a-kind Bags matched to special items and one-of-a-kind experiences: The last section of the auction features 11 custom packages of bags paired with the items that inspired them — a Duffle covered in pins is offered with the runway jacket it references, and a one-off ‘Dinky’ bag featuring a patched snakeskin version of Rexy The Coach Dinosaur is accompanied by a super-sized 3-D leather Rexy puzzle. Several lots create the opportunity for once-in-a-lifetime experiences, like attending a Coach runway show in New York City, or having a Coach bag named after you.
- Stuart Vevers: “This was a very personal project for me — many who gave their time and love to it are friends we’ve collaborated with since I joined Coach – so it felt like family. I am so happy to be able to support the cause of fashion scholarship and preservation by celebrating Coach’s own heritage and craft with these inventive, unique pieces.”
- Lena Dunham: “I have always been an admirer of Stuart’s aesthetic, and I am so honored to be part of Coach’s global auction benefitting The Costume Institute at The Metropolitan Museum of Art. I’ve always wanted to inspire a hoagie sandwich, but a bag is so much better.”