Since the cancellation of SXSW 2020 and the COVID-19 pandemic the live music scene in Austin has taken a huge hit. In support and celebration of the “live music capital” of the world, Paul Simon, Edie Brickell, Willie and Annie Nelson, and their teams have joined forces with Luck Reunion for “A NIGHT FOR AUSTIN” virtual event. Streaming tonight at 8pm CST for two hours, “A NIGHT FOR AUSTIN” will feature appearances by Willie Nelson, Paul Simon, Gary Clark Jr. and many others who are rallying around Austin’s vital businesses to raise funds for Austin Community Foundation. The event can be watched here: https://www.anightforaustin.com/ or watched online on the streaming platform Twitch
The broadcast will showcase at-home performances from Paul Simon and some of his closest friends, and highlight many of the iconic venues that have contributed to Austin’s status as a renowned cultural hub. There will be special appearances by Renee Zellweger, Ethan Hawke, Owen Wilson and Woody Harrelson. 100% of the money raised will go to the A Night for Austin fund managed by the Austin Community Foundation to be distributed directly to benefitting organizations. Online donations for “A NIGHT FOR AUSTIN” can be made at: https://www.anightforaustin.com/donate.
Below are more details about tonight’s “A NIGHT FOR AUSTIN” virtual event.
Performing Artist Include:
- PAUL SIMON (NEW YORK, NY)
- WILLIE NELSON (ABBOTT, TX)
- BONNIE RAITT (LOS ANGELES, CA)
- LYLE LOVETT
- NORAH JONES (NEW YORK, NY)
- JIMMIE VAUGHAN & THE TILT-A-WHIRL BAND
- ALEJANDRO ESCOVEDO (AUSTIN, TEXAS)
- FLACO JIMENEZ & AUGIE MEYERS
- LOS TEXMANIACS (SAN ANTONIO TX- ABQ NM – EAST LA – EL VALLE DE TEJAS)
- BLACK PUMAS (AUSTIN, TX)
- BOZ SCAGGS
- BRITT DANIEL
- CHARLIE SEXTON (AUSTIN, TX)
- DOYLE BRAMHALL (DALLAS TX)
- AUGIE MEYERS (SAN ANTONIO)
- FLACO JIMENEZ (SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS)
- DAVID RAMIREZ (AUSTIN, TX)
- EDIE BRICKELL (NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, US)
- GARY CLARK JR. (AUSTIN, TX)
- JAMES TAYLOR
- JERRY DOUGLAS (WARREN, OH)
- JOHN HIATT
- LUKAS NELSON
- PATTY GRIFFIN (AUSTIN, TX)
- ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL (AUSTIN, TX)
- RYAN BINGHAM
- SHAWN COLVIN (AUSTIN, TX)
- TERRY ALLEN
- VINCE GILL (NORMAN, OKLAHOMA)
Matching Support Has Been Provided By:
- Universal Music Publishing, $25,000
- BMI Austin, $10,000
- AT&T, $10,000
Benefiting Organizations Include:
- The Central Texas Food Bank works with food donors across the country, financial supporters and volunteers to fill unmet needs in Central Texas. This commitment from private, government and charitable partners has allowed us to bring 39 million meals to our community last year and into the hands of families and local nonprofits that turn to us for help.
- MusiCares provides a safety net of critical assistance for music people in times of need. MusiCares’ services and resources cover a wide range of financial, medical and personal emergencies, and each case is treated with integrity and confidentiality.
- HAAM’s Basic Needs Assistance Program provides lifesaving basic needs, including food, prescription medication, monthly insurance premium assistance, and comprehensive precision navigation to community resources.
- The Six Square Creatives Restoration Project is designed to specifically address the needs of artists, creatives, and entrepreneurs of color who have experienced displacement, loss of income, and opportunity as a result of the COVID-19 health crisis. Six Square aims to leverage support dollars to create a financial bridge for artists, projects, and Black owned businesses in order to sustain them through this time of uncertainty.
- PeopleFund provides small business loans as well as business assistance and education to people with otherwise limited access to such resources.
- Southern Smoke Foundation benefits individuals in the bar and restaurant industry in the Austin area, including owners, servers, chefs, cooks, suppliers, distillers, bartenders, and support staff.
- Funding for the Red River Cultural District supports the venue workers, musicians, creatives, service industry and production workers that rely on regular programming and continual income to survive.