June is Alzheimer’s and Brain Awareness Month and the Longest Day occurs on June 21st. Globally over 50 million people are living with Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementias with only 16% of seniors saying they have received regular cognitive assessment, sadly. June is a month dedicated to “Go Purple” and raise awareness of these tragic diseases. The Longest Day is the day with the most light where thousands of participants from across the world come together to fight the darkness of Alzheimer’s through an activity of their choice. Due to it being Alzheimer’s and Brain Awareness Month and The Longest Day we have put together a list of online tools to help you all #GoPurple, #EndAlz and raise awareness throughout the month.
The Alzheimer’s Association takes donations online located here: https://act.alz.org/site/Donation2?df_id=32112&32112.donation=form1&_ga=2.267326279.839402184.1560200965-1029079507.1559846553&_gac=1.250299892.1559850250.CjwKCAjw8-LnBRAyEiwA6eUMGmnenG118NwK5eWPFRwYFP8cyTWRxPLIDdxussjhpvBB7nItW3rVRBoCbHAQAvD_BwE.
The Alzheimer’s Association needs volunteers so if you can spare a few hours a week or can make a more significant time commitment. Alzheimer’s Association volunteer opportunities are listed below and can be found online here: https://www.alz.org/get-involved-now/volunteer.
- Support Group Facilitator: Seeking empathetic volunteers to provide emotional and social support to caregivers, people living with dementia and others impacted by the disease.
- Community Educator: Seeking passionate volunteers to deliver Association programs on topics related to Alzheimer’s and other dementias.
- Faith Outreach Representative: Seeking faith-focused volunteers to liaison between the Association and faith groups/congregations and connect those in need to our programs and services.
- Volunteer Locally: Learn about volunteer opportunities at your local Alzheimer’s Association chapter.
- Walk to End Alzheimer’s: Each year we bring Walk to End Alzheimer’s to over 600 communities. We could not do it without our dedicated Walk volunteers.
- Advocate: Join hundreds of thousands of Alzheimer’s advocates who are making Alzheimer’s a national priority.
- Clinical Trials: Individuals with dementia, caregivers and healthy volunteers are all urgently needed to participate in research.
To shop Alzheimer’s Association online store and #ShowYourPurple please visit: https://shop.alz.org/?_ga=2.160178936.498510583.1559846553-1029079507.1559846553. Follow the Alzheimer’s Association on Twitter and use the hashtags #ENDALZ and #ShowYourPurple.
To share your story with Alzheimer’s Association and be part of their gallery you can share a photo on Instagram or Twitter using the hashtags #ENDALZ or #EndAlzheimers. You can also follow them at @alzassociation to stay tuned in to all the ways you can take action in June.
The Longest Day is the day with the most light, the summer solstice. On June 21, thousands of participants from across the world come together to fight the darkness of Alzheimer’s through an activity of their choice. Together, they use their creativity and passion to raise funds and awareness for the care, support and research efforts of the Alzheimer’s Association. For more information on the The Longest Day please visit: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=11896&pg=informational&sid=24695.
How To Participate in the The Longest Day
Choose an activity you like to do and turn it into a fundraiser to fight Alzheimer’s and get started in three easy steps:
- Register: Sign up and select the fundraising activity you’d like to do.
- Fundraise: Set up your fundraising page and add details about your activity.
- Invite others: Ask others to fundraise with you or simply donate to help you meet your goal.
To get started to participate for the Longest Day please visit: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=11896&pg=informational&sid=24712.
InsideScientific partners with many researchers and companies who work tirelessly to develop products, conduct research, and advance scientific discovery aimed at curing Alzheimer’s Disease, dementia, and other neurological disorders. To view some webinars that touch on these topics, see the links below:
- WEBINAR: Measuring EEG in vivo for Preclinical Evaluation of Sleep and Alzheimer’s Disease
- WEBINAR: Using Touchscreen Operant Systems to Study Cognitive Behaviors in Rodents
To view more of InsideScientific webinars and article please visit: https://insidescientific.com/alzheimers-brain-awareness-month-2019.
We hope all these online tools help you get involved during Alzheimer’s and Brain Awareness Month. Don’t forget to #GoPurple to raise awareness, not just for the month of June but throughout the years to come!