Announced this week, DotMusic Limited’s global music community application for the .MUSIC registry succeeded and ICANN will award them the rights to the .MUSIC top-level domain name extension and move to contracting soon. Those main global companies that applied for the domain but did not prevail include:
- Far Further
Per their press release, .MUSIC will be the first domain extension launched with music-tailored policies to protect creators’ rights and ensure that legitimate music artists, industry professionals and companies can claim their name without fear of cybersquatting or piracy. .MUSIC’s registry team will work closely with the global music community and the .MUSIC Governance Board to prepare for the safe, responsible and prudent launch of .MUSIC.
.MUSIC IS TAILORED TO MUSIC SECTOR
.MUSIC is the global music community’s exclusive, verified and trusted domain name. .MUSIC will be the first domain extension launched with music-tailored policies to protect creators’ rights and ensure that legitimate music artists, industry professionals and companies can claim their name without fear of cybersquatting or piracy.
.MUSIC HAS ENHANCED SAFEGUARDS
.MUSIC is the first domain extension with enhanced safeguards to protect both brand name and copyright infringement. Some of these policies include:
- Globally Protected Music Marks List to protect the names of famous music brands and artists
- Takedowns in case of obvious rampant piracy
- Registered name must relate to your name or brand to prevent impersonators and cybersquatters
- Content must only relate to music
- Usage must relate to legal, licensed music activities
HOW IS .MUSIC DIFFERENT FROM .COM?
.MUSIC has additional benefits:
- It is exclusive to the global music community
- It has built-in security (https) to prevent abuse
- Its enhanced security, verification and trust will increase search engine ranking
- It is governed by the global music community under a multi-stakeholder model of equal representation
WHO SUPPORTS .MUSIC?
.MUSIC is a community-based domain extension that is supported and endorsed by thousands of the most trusted and influential music organizations worldwide. Collectively, the members of these music organizations represent over 95% of global music consumed.
WHEN WILL .MUSIC LAUNCH?
.MUSIC will launch in 2020 and will be available to global music community members in three phases:
- Sunrise (for verified trademark holders)
- Music Community Member Organization (MCMO) (only members of MCMOs can register)
- General Availability (First come-first serve for all)